Who says you need cheese on pizza?! True story- I am a pizza addict. hah. I can literally eat an entire large pizza to myself- and have on multiple occasions. It was the one thing that gave me a slight hang up when we decided to go plant based- sans cheese.
But this pizza- AMAZING!! I found the recipe on Steller in The Dreamy Leaf's feed. It does not disappoint. It's everything a pizza should be- DELISH!
3 cups bread flour
1½ cup water
¼ cup olive oil
1 tsp instant yeast
1 tsp maple syrup (or sugar)
1 tsp salt
any veggies you fancy - we lightly sautéed ours.
from The Dreamy Leaf (edited slightly)
- Put the flour, instant yeast and the salt in a large bowl and mix them.
- Add the water to the bowl. Start combining and kneading with your hand. When the flour and water is more or less combined, add the olive oil.
- Knead the dough for about 10 minutes, using folding and pressing motions. The dough should turn out quite soft and stretchy.
- Cover the top of the bowl, wrap the bowl with towels, and keep in a very warm place if possible. Let the dough rise for about 40 minutes. It should at least double in size.
- When the dough has risen enough, split it in half (this makes two large pizzas).
- Now is a good time to start pre-heating the oven to 450F.
- Dust a clean surface with flour and hand-roll the dough into a pizza pie shape. Work from the center outwards so that you get the "pizza handle", i.e. the thicker crust at the rim of the pie and a thin crust where the filling will be. You can use a roller in the beginning if it makes it easier, but try to hand-shape as much as you can. Hopefully at this stage, you are noticing that air bubbles have formed in the dough. That is a good sign that you will have an awesome outcome.
- Dust a pizza peel liberally with flour.
- Transfer the crust to the pizza peel and re-shape.
- Spread half of the hummus over the crust, sparing the outermost rim.
- Add the rest of the toppings (half of them, the remaining is for the second pizza pie) except the parsley- it gets added after the pizza is baked.
- Brush the crust with olive oil and sprinkle some garlic + salt for a flavorful crust.
- The oven needs to be pre-heated to 450F before the pizza gets in there. A hot oven is essential.
- Having a pizza stone helps retain the heat and gives much better results. But if you don't have one, you can bake it on a parchment paper dusted with flour.
- Bake for about 17 minutes or until golden on the rim.
- Top with fresh parsleys.